Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Respect Your Elders: Louise Doktor


That's Louise on the right with the indominitable Valerie Steele, director of the Museum at F.I.T. See? From executive assistant to fashion insider! Admittedly, this is not Louise's best work, but it's all I've got for now...

This may seem silly because I can't find any pictures of her online, but I'm telling you, you have to respect Louise Doktor. If nothing else, let this post inspire you to make Louise spotting in Bill Cunningham's weekly "On The Street" video slideshow, a favorite activity. Louise absolutely fascinates Mr. Cunningham, as she should. She's an executive secretary for a Midtown banking firm and she's been dressing in ways that boggle the mind and land up in Cunningham's photos for nearly 25-years now. Her wardrobe includes plenty of Martin Margiela, like a blazer with four sleeves, and so many other distinctive articles of clothing that she should head her own museum. In fact, I cannot wait for the inevitable Costume Institute exhibit at the Met that I'm sure will materialize one day. Her style is unbelievable, like a Gothic dream of pop for the senior set. I love that she dresses how she does in a corporate environment. She's the Gaga of her age bracket. I know, I wish I had more pictures of her also, but if you want to start a Photographic Evidence of Louise Doktor's Style Society, I have a general idea of where she walks every morning to get to work. Somewhere near Central Park and 5th. Or, of course, you can always spot her in The Times on stylin' Sundays.

No comments: