Monday, September 27, 2010

On a Mission: Fabrication Fantastic

Dolce and Gabana's 2011 Spring outing entered virginal territory. Based on the caches of cloth brides would prepare and bring with them as part of their wedding day trousseau, the show was a mostly white ode to needle craft. The handiwork that results in the fabrications they showcased has been specialized, skilled labor for centuries, and is timeless in its crafted beauty.



In choosing pieces for my own wardrobe, I'm taking on a commitment to own garments made of special fabrics. I've found two pieces recently: one black top with embroidered cutwork, and another zipped, quilted jacket made of embroidered, creamy cotton. They were both cheap thrift finds ($8 and $3, respectively) that feel priceless and timeless. They are classic black and white pieces that dress up my basics and make me feel a little special. In that good way--not, you know "special".

Photos: Yannis Vlamos / GoRunway.com via Style.com

No comments: