Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Michiko-A-Go-Go!


Well, hello there Empress!

I have a new love. She's an older woman, much older. But her chic elegance and undeniable style make my fashion heart go pitter-pat, thump-thump, and wubba-wubba. Seriously, I haven't felt this way about anybody since, well, since M'Obama first came on the scene. She's got kind of a long name, but I think it suits her very well: Her Imperial Majesty The Empress of Japan. Empress Michiko (if you must shorten it) is the wife of the equally well titled His Imperial Majesty The Emperor Akihito and together they are the most enjoyably cute bearers of such titles ever.





Empress Michiko and her children, whom she insisted on raising herself.

Empress Michiko was the first commoner to be married into the Japanese Imperial Family when she took her nuptials back in 1959. Her goal throughout her reign has been to connect more with the Japanese public, easing the distance between the royals and the common folk, a matter close to her heart. As Empress of Japan, Michiko has broken all kinds of stodgy rules, choosing for instance to raise her children herself, rather than entrust them to the care of court chamberlains. She's radical. I love radical; radical=admirable. She's also impeccably styled.






The Imperial Couple, Empress Michiko and Emperor Akihito doing their Imperial, ceremonial duties.

I really don't mean to be pejorative when I say that she is cute. I'm not trying to belittle her, I just have never seen such a textbook example of cute embodied in a woman.








How elegant and lovely is she? Very.

I'm in platonic, fashion love.

All photos are property of their respective owners.

No comments: