Thursday, October 02, 2008

Dress Rehearsal


When I was a wee fashionista I took dance lessons largely because it was the only place my mom would let me wear leotards and legwarmers. I loved those things, man. So, I have always had a bit of a fascination with clothes that remind me of plies and tap routines. Jean Paul Gaultier's SS 09 collection is equally dance happy. From obviously body conscious and costume inspired dresses like those above, to the more subtle touches pictured below, Gaultier choreographed a show that would have made Martha Graham proud.

So go ahead; add a stretchy, sparkling body suit to your look and let the straps show. Or, wrap some silk ribbons around your sleek ankles in homage to satin toe shoes. But, pretty please leave the actual leotards in the closet. Do not be sporting them in public unless you are still a wee fashionsita or your performance with the American Ballet Theater starts in five minutes.

This is a look best left to the professionals. And models. Or, hell...you if you really, really want to. Whatever, go crazy kids!

Images: Alessandro Lucioni for Style.com

No comments: