Wednesday, October 01, 2008

The Future is Now

I don't know what universe Nicholas Ghesquiere's gorgeous jackets came from, but they fit right into my perfect world.

I can't even begin to guess what the fabrics are or how they seem to be sufficiently self-illuminated, but they are fantastically futuristic and pretty.

Unfortunately I didn't love the rest of the collection. Too much stretchy taupe fabric and too many uncharacteristically glimmery dresses made the usually structured, modern Balenciaga Look a little too weird and soft for my taste.

I've always loved Ghesqiere's unique ability to make feminine clothing edgy and hard, but here the girly heart shapes and pinky tones were too far away from the slick shine and stiffness of the rest of the collection. The hard and soft elements seemed to oppose rather than compliment each other. But the jackets look like they could give me intergalactic superpowers, and who wouldn't want those? Especially now, when our world feels a little too apocolyptic for comfort.

Images: Style.com

No comments: