Thursday, November 20, 2008

Mix Master

One day I'll tell my grandkids about the time when I had to sit and fast-forward and re-wind a cassette tape on a walkman to hear my favorite song one more time. Oh, who am I kidding? I can tell my younger cousins about it and impress them with my wacky tales of ancient relics.

Yes, they'll laugh at the ridiculousness of the idea, but part of me will be sad for them. Why? Because they will never know the joy of crafting an ultimate mixtape on cassette for a new love, that cool punk chick they seriously want to be friends with, or their own broken hearts. Or, better yet, receiving a mixtape created just for them with every song carefully selected, sequenced, and timed to say just the right thing.

The closest they'll get to the real deal is this crazy clever contraption. It's a modern day mixtape: a cassette case hiding a USB stick. Nostalgia all mixed up with new; the best of both worlds.

Yes, I know you can't wear this, but damn it's cool.

Time Out New York
featured this in their newest Gift Guide issue. You can click the image to get your own.

No comments: