Sunday, November 09, 2008

Slips n' Slides

Even though we've had remarkably gorgeous (or creepy Global Warming) weather here on the East Coast of late, cold winter nights are inevitably on their way. I don't know about you, but I feel the temperature drop in my feet first. My tiny toes become icicles when it gets chilly and slippers become my best friends. Toasty tootsies are a necessity, but I wore out my favorite Dearfoams last year and mama needs a new pair of slides.

My globetrotting friend Neil suggested I look into babouches; gorgeous hand-tooled leather or fabric slippers he spotted on local feet throughout his travels in Morocco.

My initial reaction was that they weren't quite as cozy as what I was used to, but they actually keep my feet quite warm and make me feel like I'm in Morocco, which is the best side effect a pair of winter slippers could have. All I need to do is look down at my exotically decked out feet, and I can feel the Arabian sun shining through my winter wooly pajamas. Mind over matter people, mind over matter.

Order your own pair of babouche slippers here.

Image: Toby-Williams' Photostream on Flickr.com

No comments: