Thursday, January 14, 2010

A+




The big girls are taking over. PA-POW! That's all I have to say about that! V Magazine's size issue hits stands today and should carry a warning label that says "Dangerous Curves Ahead." There's always so much talk in the fashion industry about using "real looking women" in magazines, and in past attempts I have to say that most publications have failed. It makes me laugh to imagine Anna Wintour, for instance, meeting with the Voguettes and picking out a "big girl": "I can see her when she turns sideways; must be what they want." But, V has a good sized selection. The ladies in the issue, especially in Solve Sundsbo's editorial, are vuluptous and vampy and curvy indeed.







As a woman who has struggled with her weight and has done battle with a eating issues her whole life, I can't explain the feeling of validation that comes from seeing women who kind of, sort of, maybe a little bit, look something like me and my body. This feels especially good coming from an industry that I love so much, and that has been so unified in its acceptance of nothing but boniness for so long. I don't blame the industry for my own image issues, but seeing beautiful bodies in glossy pages helps me feel good and sexy and PA POW myself. Thanks V! You done good.

No comments: