Thursday, January 14, 2010

A+




The big girls are taking over. PA-POW! That's all I have to say about that! V Magazine's size issue hits stands today and should carry a warning label that says "Dangerous Curves Ahead." There's always so much talk in the fashion industry about using "real looking women" in magazines, and in past attempts I have to say that most publications have failed. It makes me laugh to imagine Anna Wintour, for instance, meeting with the Voguettes and picking out a "big girl": "I can see her when she turns sideways; must be what they want." But, V has a good sized selection. The ladies in the issue, especially in Solve Sundsbo's editorial, are vuluptous and vampy and curvy indeed.







As a woman who has struggled with her weight and has done battle with a eating issues her whole life, I can't explain the feeling of validation that comes from seeing women who kind of, sort of, maybe a little bit, look something like me and my body. This feels especially good coming from an industry that I love so much, and that has been so unified in its acceptance of nothing but boniness for so long. I don't blame the industry for my own image issues, but seeing beautiful bodies in glossy pages helps me feel good and sexy and PA POW myself. Thanks V! You done good.

1 comment:

asparaguss59 said...

I've always been a fan of fuller-figured models. There's a great site with many images of plus-size models here:

http://www.judgmentofparis.com/

They're all gorgeous.

The site's forum also has thought-provoking discussions about body image and the media.