Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Go For A Spin

Artist/Illustrator/Frequent Fashion Collaborator (can I have that title on my business cards, please?) Julie Verhoeven is one of my favorites. She does work with an undeniable edge but it's always so softly feminine, like women themselves. A not-so-subtle streak of sexuality runs through her inky washes and colorful creatures, and she draws eyes nice and big-just the way I like 'em! I'm not going to spill all of her beans just yet because I want to write about her again and again. The below video is your first taste. It was originally conceived as background visuals for a music/art performance by the Gingerbread Men. In it Julie makes eyes at you out of all sorts of vapory visuals. Watching her paint backwards at around the seven minute mark is full-on fantastic.

It's called Knee Deep in Your Eyes.

No comments: