Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Quick Turnaround

Ok, so yesterday I was so annoyed at Marc Jacobs for putting on a show with obvious, heavy-handed, '80s rehashing. But today, upon viewing his Marc by Marc Jacobs presentation, I'm delightfully...confused. I love the feeling I get when I look at something that has not been shown to me in quite that way before. My brain wants to reject it, say it doesn't work (and sometimes it doesn't) but I have a sneaking suspicion that somehow I am just witnessing newness. The mash-up that Marc by Marc presented was full of familiar shapes but in diferent combinations and really walked quite far away from the predominant look of strong, sex-ed up, stompiness that is streaming out of other shows, and this is supposed to be his younger line.

The layers upon layers, and cozy materials with the forgiving, roomy shapes are a real girl's friend. I don't think the show is entirely attractive, and it kind of seems like an ode to daffy, wilderness-loving, old aunts everywhere, but there's something about the pops of color and pattern combos that keeps it fresh and wearable. I'm a sucker for the layers done that way too. It makes things look cozy and andro, but interesting. I want to have conversations and unsweetned cinamon hot chocolate with these girls. I wouldn't expect to like it, but I do. It's heavy and agey, but fresh in a weird way. I also like some of the men's looks. They are approachable but hip enough.

That's what the collection is: comfortable and approachable, yet hip enough. Nice rebound, Mr. Fan-of-Kilts.

Photos: Marcio Madeira for Style.com

1 comment:

Neil JP. said...

The top left look, the one he opened the show with, was my favorite. The proportions definitly made me feel like I was looking at something new.

I am also lusting after that argyle mens cardigan. Just putting that out there.